by CARLOS PASSAGE, editor in Chief, Colombia
We witnessed a year ago, on April 1, 2022, the creation of Billboard’s Afrobeats chart, the genre of artists from Nigeria who mix local music with R&B, Hip Hop and House and initially from the United Kingdom and now from the United States. United, it is becoming a true ‘bomb’ in the world of music thanks also to great collaborations with stars of Pop and Urban music.
In these 53 weeks of the creation of the Billboard Afrobeats chart, there have been six number 1s:
1 “Calm Down,” Rema & Selena Gomez, 30 weeks at #1
2. “Last Last,” Burna Boy, eight weeks
3. “Love Nwantiti (Ah Ah Ah),” CKay, six weeks
4. “Peru,” Fireboy DML & Ed Sheeran, six weeks.
5. “Essence,” WizKid featuring Justin Bieber & Tems, two weeks
6. “Free Mind,” Tems, one week.